Gooseberry Meringue Pie
A delicious twist on traditional lemon meringue pie, this Gooseberry meringue pie recipe was a winner at a recent Horti-Pride morning tea. It is tart and sweet and is a surefire crowd pleaser.
- 500g Cape Gooseberries – juiced/puréed (see Method below for instructions)
- 250g plain sweet biscuits
- 100g unsalted butter, melted
- ½ Cup (75g) cornflour
- 1 ½ Cups of caster sugar
- 1 Cups (250ml) water
- 60g unsalted butter, extra
- 4 eggs, separated
- Grease 24cm loose base flan tin
- Add biscuits to a blender or food processor and process until mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- To the ground biscuits, add 100g butter and process until combined.
- Press the biscuit mixture evenly over base and sides of tin. Refrigerate the base while preparing filling.
- Make Gooseberry juice by adding 500g Gooseberries to a blender or food processor and purée for 20 to 30 seconds, until mixture is juicy.
- Using a sieve, pour the purée through the sieve into a 500ml jug. Discard seeds and excess skin.
- Use the sieve once again to strain the juice a second time, ensuring all seeds are removed. The final liquid should comprise about 350ml or 1 1/3 cups of gooseberry juice*.
- Combine 250ml of the gooseberry juice with 250ml water, 75grams cornflour and ½ cup of sugar in medium saucepan; stir until liquid is smooth.
- Cook, stirring over high heat until mixture boils and starts to thicken. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring until thick.
- Remove from heat; then stir in extra 60g butter, then egg yolks. Continue to stir until butter is melted and yolks are well mixed and mixture is smooth.
- Cool for 10 minutes.
- Spread the cooled gooseberry filling over the biscuit base
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours, or overnight.
- Preheat oven to moderately hot.
- Beat egg whites in small bowl with electric mixer until soft peaks form; gradually add remaining 1Cup sugar, beating until sugar dissolves and mixture has thickened.
- Use a fork to roughen the surface of the gooseberry filling before spreading with meringue mixture.
- Bake uncovered, in moderate oven for about 5 minutes or until meringue is slightly browned.
*Note: Excess juice can be stored in fridge or used a side sauce with meringue.